Floating

Floating
The Seine in Paris France

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Class Insanity

I recently realized how much of a failure I am at this whole college thing. I honestly wished I would be given a pill to help me focus on my work instead of things that are significantly less important. For example, there is a door decorating contest going on in the dorm I'm living in and even though my new roommate (which by the way, things are way better now) and I are not really focused on the actual contest, we are both extremely excited about decorating our door for the holidays. This being my new focus is truly killing me when it comes to my academics. I have papers, but what do procrastinators do best? Yes, that is correct, we don't do anything important. I have tried my best to stop procrastinating but it seems that the more I try to break my bad habit, the worse it gets. My door will look great, my papers and grades, sadly, will probably suffer. I swear, I hear all of these freshman that act so proud of their abilities to procrastinate but it's a curse, a truly awful curse that does nothing but harm a persons real intellect. I keep telling them to do their homework and to not wait until the last minute, but do they listen? Of course not, I'm just some "old fart" that has learned absolutely nothing about being in college. I have only been here for 5 years and I'm still not done.

To those of you all planning on attending college in the near future, I beg you to actually listen to what I have just said. I know it's more fun to go out and party, hang out with friends or even get distracted by something as lame as decorating your door, but you do not want to be in college for 5 years and still not be on the list of graduating seniors. There is nothing cool about it and you lose so much money.

The thing about this semester is actually quite ironic. I'm so busy with homework and going mad about it all, but I can at least say that this semester is the one that I am most proud of. I have actually kept a good record of homework assignments in my planner and I have yet to miss an assignment. Not to mention, I haven't skipped many classes. I have really only missed due to medical reasons. That is another reason I think my grades this semester have managed to slip a little... okay, in some cases, a lot. I'm a history major and the only classes I'm legitimately doing bad in are history. My American history class I'll be honest with you on, I haven't really tried much. I write a great essay, but in college, the essay is only good enough to get you a D on an exam. I loathe vocabulary words with a passion, but this last exam is my only chance of survival in this class. I have a 10 page paper due on Thursday and then it's the exam. The exam I truly am dreading with every inch of my soul. In order to get credit for a major class, you have to have a C or higher and I've been sitting on a D the entire semester. My other class that I dread is World History. I doubt there is a subject in History that could be more boring. I would rather listen to out of tune vocals to bluegrass music. That surly does say something about the misery world history brings to me every time I have to sit in that retched classroom. I don't think it's the class that bores me so much, I think it's the professors/teachers that I have had in world history. They all do lecture and it just bores me to death. Alexander the zzzzzz. Here is the deal for my world history class. I have to get a B or higher on this grade to make it out alive. The saddest part to this is that I have ANOTHER horrible semester of World History to go. I have to pass, 2 more semesters, I think, might just put me in a crazy hospital of some sort. One can only take so much of one topic before you go absolutely bonkers. English and Math I'm not too terribly worried about. I can get the help I need easily and not go clinically insane from it. Law in American Society, it's a subject I love, but it's a lot like history. I neglect it until the very last minute. I have no idea how my grades are as good as they are but I will be dead honest, I definitely have to step it up a few more notches in order to do GREAT on the exam, thank goodness for open note exams. In law, I'm also having to write a 10-25 page paper, which in a collegiate's experience, that means the paper has to be somewhere between 15 and 20 pages for a decent grade. Thankfully I picked a topic that I found to be quite interesting. I have 22 resources, 15 were required, and although I haven't really started the paper, my outline is moving alone quite nicely and everyone knows that with a strong outline, quickly comes a strong paper. I'm some how not worried at all about this paper, I just know I'll do well on it.


It's time I stop procrastinating and get work done. I've come to learn that homework and studying will no do it's self. That, my dear friends, is only a fantasy.

No comments: